Delhi: Man suspects wife of infidelity, hammers nail into her head
- Congress rakes up Vajpayee's Rajdharma remark post 2002 Gujarat riots to take on Modi
- Mulayam's shocker: Boys will be boys, they make mistakes... Will you hang them for rape?
- SC junks PIL seeking reconstitution of SIT probing Gujarat riots
- Modi mentioned wife in affidavit after SC order on full disclosure
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Rahul Gandhi brings up Narendra Modi's marital status at Doda rally
A 32-year-old man allegedly hammered a five-inch nail into his wife's head as he suspected her of having an extra-marital affair. Police said the incident was reported from Sangam Vihar in Southeast Delhi on Thursday night.
The woman, identified as Mamta (27), sustained a severe head injury and has slipped into coma. Her condition is critical, police said.
According to police, Mamta's husband Pappu suspected her of cheating on him. The couple had furious arguments over the issue in the past as well, police said.
On Thursday night, while Mamta was sleeping, Pappu locked the door of their bedroom from inside - their three children slept in the adjacent room.
According to police, Pappu tied up Mamta's hands and legs and taped her mouth.
When Mamta tried to untie herself, he repeatedly slapped her, police said.
He then got a five-inch nail and hammer from another room and hammered it into Mamta's temple, police said.
"Despite her mouth being taped, the children in the other room could hear Mamta scream. They broke into the room to find their mother bleeding. Pappu had fled the house by then. The children called their landlord, who alerted police and rushed Mamta to the hospital," a senior police officer said.
Pappu who hails from Etah in Uttar Pradesh was arrested on Friday.
A case of attempt to murder has been registered against him.
Investigation in the case is on, police said.