Delhi tops in rape cases among metros
- Sahara case: Hearing deferred in SC, Subrata Roy to remain in jail
- Purnia rally: Modi takes a dig at Nitish, says his PM dream was reason for break up of alliance
- Still no sign of Malaysia Airlines jet lost in "unprecedented mystery"
- DMK denies ticket to Alagiri; Raja, Maran get renomination
- Coal scam: SC directs CBI to file five charge sheets by Mar 28
The national capital has topped in registration of rape cases among six metros in the country with over 450 such incidents reported last year alone.
A total of 453 rape cases were registered in Delhi followed by 221 in Mumbai, 97 in Bengaluru, 76 in Chennai, 59 in Hyderabad and 46 in Kolkata in 2011, according to a Home Ministry data.
As many as 414 and 404 cases of rape were registered in Delhi during 2010 and 2009 respectively.
In 2010, Mumbai Police registered 194 rape cases, Bengaluru Police 65, Chennai and Hyderabad Police 47 each while 32 cases were registered in Kolkata, the data said.
During 2009, 182 rape cases were registered in Mumbai, 65 in Bengaluru, 47 in Hyderabad, 42 in Kolkata and 39 in Chennai, it said.
Delhi has also earned a dubious distinction in terms of molestation cases as over 556 such incidents, the highest in six metro cities, were reported last year.
The national capital registered 550 and 491 cases in 2010 and 2009 respectively, the Home Ministry data said.
Mumbai is not far behind as 553 cases of molestation under the Indian Penal Code were registered by the police last year as against 475 in 2010 and 400 in 2009.
Kolkata Police registered 254 cases of molestation in 2011, 226 in 2010 and 201 in 2009.
A total of 250 molestation cases were registered in Bengaluru, 157 in Hyderabad and 73 in Chennai last year.
However, Mumbai reported a highest number of 162 cases of sexual harassment followed by 149 in Delhi, 144 in Kolkata, 121 in Chennai, 93 in Hyderabad and 40 in Bengaluru last year.
According to the Home Ministry data, Delhi registered 47,212 cognizable crimes under IPC including murder, dowry deaths, arson, burglary and kidnapping in 2011 followed by 32,647 cases in Mumbai and 30,283 in Bengaluru.
- AAP workers stage protest outside Kejriwal’s residence over ticket distribution
- BJP boycotts NDTV over news gaffe | The Indian Express
- Out of the promised 50,000 homes for the poor, not even 50 constructed in Gujarat by BJP: Kejriwal
- BJP complains to EC against Rahul over RSS remarks, seeks derecognition of Congress