Delhi University college bars girl from classes, made to pay fine
- Day after Rahul Gandhi slams PM Modi, Amit Shah condemns politics over surgical strikes
- Prohibition to stay in Bihar: SC stays Patna HC judgment setting aside liquor ban
- US says does not support declaring Pakistan a 'terrorist state'
- Talk on stage at Parrikar event: 200 killed, atom bomb vs atom bomb
- Hurricane Matthew: Haiti death toll rises to 339, deadly storm hits Florida
The Delhi High Court has asked a Delhi University college to respond to a student's plea asking it why she was barred from attending classes for one month besides being asked to pay a fine of Rs 1,000.
Justice G S Sistani asked the concerned authorities of Bharti College, affiliated to University of Delhi, to file the reply by February 13, the next date of hearing and stayed the operation of its disciplinary order against Kumari Kajal Garg, a final year student of B Com (H).
The court also asked the college, located at Janakpuri here, to produce documents pertaining to inquiry proceedings held against Garg.
The institute had on January 2 decided to take disciplinary action against the student, who had filed nomination papers for the post of President of the students union, on the ground that she was found involved in "electoral malpractice".
In a petition, filed through advocate Ashok Agarwal, Garg alleged the action was taken against her as she was vocal for students' rights.
She also alleged neither the copy of the complaint was served on her nor was she accorded a hearing by the authorities concerned.
- Revealing Elena Ferrante’s identity violates her desire for privacy
- Breakdown of LoC ceasefire will make it difficult for army to control infiltration
- Academic publishers suit shows how much they benefitted from intellectual commons
- Lack of unity has prevented Sindhi nationalists from pressuring Islamabad
- India must be prepared to deal with a disease that is growing globally
- Challenge for India’s leaders is to show that strength can be blended with subtlety & deftness