Delhi women stun Maharashtra A
- Pakistan: Twin blasts near Charsadda court, four dead, several feared injured
- Panama Papers: ED widens probe, issues advisories to 137 Indians
- FIR names A P Singh: CBI to probe its second director for corruption
- Same-sex attraction is OK, boys can cry, girl’s no means no
- Interview with Devendra Fadnavis: ‘Transparency to remain non-negotiable in Sena-BJP alliance after polls’
Delhi women paddlers caused the biggest upset of the tournament with a hard-fought 3-2 victory over defending champions Maharashtra A to qualify for the final of the National Table Tennis Championships here today.
Delhi take on PSPB in the summit clash on Thursday with the latter defeating Tamil Nadu 3-0 in the other semifinal. In the men's section, Petroleum Sports Promotion Board, led by Achanta Sharath Kamal, routed Haryana 3-0 in the semifinals to book a berth in the summit clash at the Balbir Juneja Indoor Stadium here.
The winner of the semifinal match between Gujarat and West Bengal will join PSPB in the final. Delhi's turnaround in the women's edge-of-the-seat semifinal was made possible by Neha Aggarwal, who won both her matches against Divya Deshpande and Mamata Prabhu, the crucial fifth rubber after Maharashtra had rallied to equal at 2-2.
Neha beat Mamata 11-7, 13-11, 15-13 to seal the fate of Maharashtra. Manika began on an excellent note against an off-colour Mamata Prabhu and Neha beat Divya to put Delhi 2-0 up. But Sanya Sehgal lost to Prajakta Tipale and Manika surrendered to Divya to give Maharashtra a semblance of a fight.
- Pakistan is the site of conflict between two understandings of Islam. Let the music not fade
- Maharashtra civic polls underline the disconnect between urban governance and citizen
- India should resist the temptation of ideological correctness in engaging with Trump
- Digital education isn’t democratic, it creates deep inequalities between universities
- It is in India’s strategic interest to engage Afghan insurgents
- Trump’s America is a latecomer. It has much to learn from Vishwaguru India