Demand for Kendriya Vidyala in Jeypore of Odisha
- FIR against Giriraj Singh for Modi-Pak remark, BJP pulls him up
- Modi attacks Gandhis again, wonders how Rahul can lead country when he can't handle Amethi
- Malaysian Airline flight to Bangalore makes air turnback
- Vote for BSP to keep fascist forces, dynasty rule at bay: Mayawati to Muslims
- Emissary row: Sanjay Saraf dismisses reports of carrying any message from BJP
Several social outfits, including locals, have demanded establishment of a Kendriya Vidyala (KV) at Jeypore in Koraput district of Odisha.
Describing Jeypore as a cultural, educational and business hub of south Odisha after Berhampur, activists of various organisations have sent a memorandum to union minister for human resource development for establishment of a central school in the town at the earliest.
"Even though there are important installations and offices like income tax office, railway station, All India Radio, Doordarshan, office of senior superintendent of post offices, BSNL office, office of the Food Corporation of India and branches of several insurance companies and nationalised banks, Jeypore has so far been neglected with regard to opening of a KV", the memorandum read.
"Other central government offices and PSUs like Rice Research Centre, Vector Control Research Centre and NTPC also exist at Jeypore," it added.
"There is discontentment among people in this tribal area due to absence of a KV. Being a backward tribal-dominated district, Jeypore deserve a KV", said Susanta Adhikari, an activist of an organisation.
At present the district has two KVs one at the district headquarters town of Koraput and the other on the premises of Naval Armament Depot (NAD) under defence sector at Sunabeda.