Democratic Party gives key responsibility to Bera for polls
- CBI sought part RTI exemption, Govt gave it full
- Screen Awards: Milkha, Ram-Leela and Madras Cafe dominate
- DGCA seeks fresh public objections after clearing AirAsia for take-off
- Delhi: 51-year-old Danish national alleges gangrape, 15 detained for questioning
- I wonder if I will be able to ever reunite with my husband, my kids. I miss them: Devyani
Indian-American Congressman Ami Bera has been given a key responsibility in the Democratic party to reach out to the immigrant community in the run-up to the 2014 Congressional elections.
48-year-old Bera, a physician by profession, has been made one of the two chairs of the New America Council along with Congressman Keith Ellison. New Americas Council Chairs will lead outreach efforts to immigrant communities and other new Americans, critical parts of the rising American electorate that is crucial to Democrats' success in 2014, Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee (DCCC) Chairman Steve Israel said in a statement.
He also announced leadership team with the Tribal Council, LGBT Council, Labor Council and Defense Council for the2013-2014 cycle.
"The men and women in our leadership represent every corner of this great country, and we're so proud that our caucus truly reflects what America looks like," Israel said.
"Thanks to our diversity and commitment to the middle class, we won more votes than Republicans in 2012, and looking ahead to 2014, the leaders of our Tribal Council, New Americas Council, LGBT Council, Labor Council, Defense Council, Latino Council and Women LEAD will continue to broaden our appeal to all Americans," he said.
Bera is the only Indian-American Congressmen serving in the current Congress. He is also only the third Indian-American to have ever been elected to the US Congress. Within a few months of being sworn in as a lawmaker, Bera has impressed his party leaders with his performances.
- LIVE: Arvind Kejriwal targets Reliance Industries
- My heart bleeds to see what is happening in the House: ManmohanÂ Singh
- Sonia named Chairperson of Congress Campaign panel for LS polls, Rahul ViceÂ Chairman
- US free to interact with Modi, but must apply standards consistent with its policy on human rights:Â Khurshid