Democratic Party gives key responsibility to Bera for polls
- Espionage racket with ISI links busted in Jammu, Kolkata; BSF jawan among five arrested
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to attend UN climate summit
- Nepal releases 13 SSB personnel after brief detention
- Turkey to hand over body of dead Russian pilot to Moscow: PM
- Bhushan challenges Kejriwal for public debate on Lokpal Bill
Indian-American Congressman Ami Bera has been given a key responsibility in the Democratic party to reach out to the immigrant community in the run-up to the 2014 Congressional elections.
48-year-old Bera, a physician by profession, has been made one of the two chairs of the New America Council along with Congressman Keith Ellison. New Americas Council Chairs will lead outreach efforts to immigrant communities and other new Americans, critical parts of the rising American electorate that is crucial to Democrats' success in 2014, Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee (DCCC) Chairman Steve Israel said in a statement.
He also announced leadership team with the Tribal Council, LGBT Council, Labor Council and Defense Council for the2013-2014 cycle.
"The men and women in our leadership represent every corner of this great country, and we're so proud that our caucus truly reflects what America looks like," Israel said.
"Thanks to our diversity and commitment to the middle class, we won more votes than Republicans in 2012, and looking ahead to 2014, the leaders of our Tribal Council, New Americas Council, LGBT Council, Labor Council, Defense Council, Latino Council and Women LEAD will continue to broaden our appeal to all Americans," he said.
- Ahead of the Paris summit, India has been again targeted as a spoiler
- Shunning coal not viable for India; World needs to come together to make it cleaner
- Detained at IFFI: You can chain our hands, but you can't choke our voices
- How 'secular', 'socialist' came to be part of Constitution, and why they remain
- Next door Nepal: Blaming the neighbour
- True economic reform is one that makes a clean break from the past