Dera Sacha Sauda followers to wield brooms to clean up city
- Solar scam case: Kerala court orders FIR against CM Oommen Chandy
- Supreme Court recalls order appointing former judge Virendra Singh as UP Lokayukta
- Arunachal Governor cited ‘cow slaughter’ protest as one sign of law & order collapse in state
- BJP leader held for alleged cow slaughter in Madhya Pradesh, gets expelled from party
- Indian-American Muslims flay Government move against AMU, Jamia
With the aim of cleaning up the city at one go, a cleanliness drive on a large scale by the followers of Dera Sacha Sauda is on the anvil. In the days to come, Chandigarh would witness lakhs of dera devotees descending on its streets to clear up every nook and corner.
This year, improving sanitation in the city figures high on the agenda of the civic body. Therefore, Mayor Subhash Chawla held a meeting with Dera chief Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh at Sirsa on Sunday.
"The dera head has given an in-principle approval for this, though a date would be finalised after working out the modalities. More than one lakh dera followers are expected to come to the city and clean it up. We have been asked to work out the requirement and inform the dera," Chawla says.
The dera has undertaken similar initiatives at other places, including Pushkar, Ajmer, Hisar, Sirsa and Orissa. A cleanliness drive was also initiated at Haridwar along the Ganga river. At all these places the devotees in large numbers descended at one place and then removed garbage from the entire area and cleaned up the place.
The idea was mooted a couple of months back, but could not materialise. After a meeting of the Mayor with the dera chief, the proposal has been revived and the date is likely to be fixed this week.
The officials of the Municipal Corporation have been asked to videotape the garbage, construction waste and polythene lying in different sectors. This would give an idea of the extent of filth that needs to be cleared.
Amongst the modalities being worked out is that chaos should not be created in the city when a large number of dera followers come here. During talks between the Mayor and the dera head, it was said that the followers would be from the city and the adjoining areas. Parking of vehicles would be made on the outskirts in order to avoid any rush.
- Dalit scholar’s death exposed inability of casteist Hindu to be modern
- Annotated edition of Hitler's Mein Kemph
- Why yuan matters Indian equity markets
- R-day and the saccharine sweet patriotism
- It is clear PM’s concept of nationhood extends beyond constitutional parameters
- The sensitive and old controversy about the minority character of AMU