Desperate to axe India's gold habit, govt mulls yellow metal-linked schemes to curb import
- âWonât be vindictive... will ask Supreme Court to clear MP, MLA cases in a yearâ
- Alagiri backs âgreat manâ Modi as PM
- Plea to vote for âsecular partyâ splits Bollywood
- Donât show exit polls disguised as opinion polls, says poll panel
- Fifth phase of Lok Sabha elections in 121 seats on Thursday
In the 2011-12 fiscal, India's gold imports stood at USD 60 billion and the quantum of import was 1,067 tonnes.
A Finance Ministry official said the imports have shown signs of moderation and that gives the government hope that the CAD will be lower this fiscal.
In the April-June quarter of the current fiscal, however, gold imports had contracted by 18.4 per cent year-on-year to Rs 71,912 crore (USD 13 billion).
Gold imports into the country has risen considerably in the last three-four years.
- Activist, her aide booked for cheating in attempt to frame acquitted murder accused
- Extended Monorail running hours fails to pull crowd
- HC orders action against Essel World for causing harm to mangroves
- Cops crack bar girl’s murder case after waiter’s tip-off
- Railway to provide plastic pouches for commuter IDs
- Last safety check for Metro to begin April 18