Dev sends Shah packing
- Modi in US: PM meets media magnates; promises protection to Intellectual Property Rights
- Mecca stampede: Saudi blames heat, Iran says own responsibility
- Sourav Ganguly appointed chief of Cricket Association of Bengal
- Muzaffarnagar riots: SP, BJP in blame game over commission's report
- Gujarat HC slams Hardik Patel, his lawyer for midnight petition
Fourth seed Dev Vazirani of Khar Gymkhana shocked top seed Chaitanya Shah to storm into the boys' under-15 final in the Rs 1.5 lakh NSCI Juniors & Doubles Open Squash Championship, an SRFI 1-Star competition, at the National Sports Club of India on Tuesday.
Vazirani overcame the favourite from Bombay Gymkhana 11-9, 11-9, 11-9 in a tight semi-final after enduring a stiff challenge all the way. With this win, he set up a mouth-watering title clash with second seed Aryman Adik of Otters Club who halted the formidable Yohann Surti of Willingdon Sports Club, Mahalaxmi 11-4, 8-11, 12-10, 12-10 in a thrilling second semi-final.
After warming up with a comfortable first set, Adik faced a strong challenge from a determined Surti who threatened to stretch the match into the decider after losing the third and crucial fourth over extra points in a nail-biting finish. In the doubles, Aishwarya Singh and Laxman Joshi of Jindal Squash Academy set up a championship round clash with Rishad Pandole and Sahil Vora of CCI.
Among the girls, the significant semi-final winners were Diya Joukhani of Khar Gymkhana, Akanksha Salunke of Goa and Aishwarya Bhattacharya of Bombay Gymkhana.