Devyani and MEA's wisdom provoke 90-sec spoof in Taiwan
- Hunt on for Malaysian Airlines: Stolen passports, missing debris fuels fears of foul play
- Raj Thackeray warms up to Narendra Modi, lets Sena feel the heat
- Rs 25,000 cr: CAG sees biggest ever J&K land scam
- Uttar Pradesh BJP wants tickets for four riot-accused MLAs
- Haryana, Gujarat top industry-friendly states, Maharashtra among bottom five
An animation video on the arrest of diplomat Devyani Khobragade, which has soured the relationship between India and the US, has surfaced on the Internet — and it has come from, of all the places, Taiwan.
The one-and-a-half-minute spoof has been posted by a group called Next Media Animation TV. And though not everyone will be amused by the fact that the sari-clad Khobragade keeps turning into a Goddess Kali-like entity, the idea seems essentially to tell the basic story of the row wittily. Subtitles include one that goes "US not sari".
"Khobragade's story was heavily reported and talked about. We thought the story was quite interesting and out of the norm, which was why we chose it. The reaction to our video seems to be pretty extreme, people either really liked it or really hated it," Jessica Wu, the international marketing editor of Next Media Animation, said in an e-mail interview.
Founded in 2007, Next Media Animation is one of the largest full-service digital animation studios in Asia, with more than 600 creators and artists based in Taipei, Taiwan. Along with a YouTube channel, the studio also has TomoNews apps.
The video, posted on YouTube on December 18, shows Khobragade hiring nanny Sunita Richard, smuggling her to the US in a suitcase with a "I love NY" sign on it, and then being arrested on the street, subjected to a Draupadi-like stripping, and thrown into a cell with New York City prostitutes, where she weeps copiously.
Woven in with the dancing animation figures is footage of a truck towing away barriers outside the US embassy in Delhi, following which a boy materialises to plant a "Bomb Season" sign at the spot, and two jiving figures in suicide vests — presumably terrorists — show up.
- Bengal model better than Modi’s Gujarat, says Didi
- Sindhis threaten to move HC if Sindhu Sagar not cleaned
- Three RTI activists whom Kejriwal paid homage are alive
- Poojary wins Mangalore primary
- Short change: Health cover for girl child at 50% discount
- Run with the bulls, don’t lose out to foreign investors again
- BJP boycotts NDTV over news gaffe | The Indian Express
- Out of the promised 50,000 homes for the poor, not even 50 constructed in Gujarat by BJP: Kejriwal
- AAP workers stage protest outside Kejriwal’s residence over ticket distribution
- BJP complains to EC against Rahul over RSS remarks, seeks derecognition of Congress