Devyani and MEA's wisdom provoke 90-sec spoof in Taiwan
- CBI sought part RTI exemption, Govt gave it full
- Screen Awards: Milkha, Ram-Leela and Madras Cafe dominate
- DGCA seeks fresh public objections after clearing AirAsia for take-off
- Delhi: 51-year-old Danish national alleges gangrape, 15 detained for questioning
- I wonder if I will be able to ever reunite with my husband, my kids. I miss them: Devyani
An animation video on the arrest of diplomat Devyani Khobragade, which has soured the relationship between India and the US, has surfaced on the Internet — and it has come from, of all the places, Taiwan.
The one-and-a-half-minute spoof has been posted by a group called Next Media Animation TV. And though not everyone will be amused by the fact that the sari-clad Khobragade keeps turning into a Goddess Kali-like entity, the idea seems essentially to tell the basic story of the row wittily. Subtitles include one that goes "US not sari".
"Khobragade's story was heavily reported and talked about. We thought the story was quite interesting and out of the norm, which was why we chose it. The reaction to our video seems to be pretty extreme, people either really liked it or really hated it," Jessica Wu, the international marketing editor of Next Media Animation, said in an e-mail interview.
Founded in 2007, Next Media Animation is one of the largest full-service digital animation studios in Asia, with more than 600 creators and artists based in Taipei, Taiwan. Along with a YouTube channel, the studio also has TomoNews apps.
The video, posted on YouTube on December 18, shows Khobragade hiring nanny Sunita Richard, smuggling her to the US in a suitcase with a "I love NY" sign on it, and then being arrested on the street, subjected to a Draupadi-like stripping, and thrown into a cell with New York City prostitutes, where she weeps copiously.
Woven in with the dancing animation figures is footage of a truck towing away barriers outside the US embassy in Delhi, following which a boy materialises to plant a "Bomb Season" sign at the spot, and two jiving figures in suicide vests — presumably terrorists — show up.
- Live: Kejriwal does a U turn, urges people to come in largeÂ numbers
- Women competent enough, they need opportunities, saysÂ Rahul
- â€˜Modi has a majoritarian, authoritarian attitudeâ€¦ such a policy and style of govt would be a disaster for thisÂ countryâ€™
- â€˜Narmada water not reaching farmers for want of minor canalsâ€™ | The Indian Express