DGP Saini refuses to confirm or deny getting Babbar Khalsa threat letter
Amid reports of Shiv Sena Punjab chief Sanjeev Ghanauli alleging that he received a letter of threat from militant outfit Babbar Khalsa, and that it was also issued to Punjab Director General of Police Sumedh Singh Saini, the DGP neither denied nor confirmed whether a threat had been issued to him as well.
While talking to mediapersons on the eve of the Conference of Police Commissioners that will be organised in Amritsar for the first time in the country, Saini said, "Leave me aside, who is that person who received a letter of threat?"
When asked if he could deny or confirm whether he had received threat letter, as claimed by Sanjeev, Saini said, "This is not a quiz competition...You are being unfair to me by asking me to deny or confirm". He added that the state police was equipped to deal with such issues.
The Shiv Sena leader claimed that he received the letter on December 18 in Ghanauli village, Ropar, where he added that Saini and some other organisations labelled as 'anti-Sikhs' were also issued a threat. He claimed that the letter was posted from Chandigarh. He added that he had filed a complaint with the police authorities concerned and Sukhdev Singh Kahlon, Additional Inspector-General of Police (CID), Ludhiana.
Kahlon said Sanjeev had told him over the phone about the threat. "I am yet to receive the copy of the letter to verify its authenticity," he added.
After pruning the security cover of state protectees and getting as many as 4,000 police officials at its disposal, the Punjab Police would conduct yet another security review of the protectees in the state within the next fortnight, Saini said at the press meet.
He also said that the police had been effective in crowd control and maintaining law and order in most parts of Punjab, especially during the protests following the death row of Balwant Singh Rajoana, late Punjab chief minister Beant Singh's assassin.