Dhanas rehabilitation colony may be transferred to MC
- BJP rubbishes Geelani's claim, calls separatist leader's 'Modi emissary talk' as 'false and mischievous'
- Mamata Banerjee govt saving those involved in Saradha scam: Rahul Gandhi
- Modi's jibe at Mulayam: âBalaatkariyon ke liye Netaji ka mann ekdum mulayam haiâ
- Malaysian Airlines MH370: 4 questions about missing plane answered
- IPL 7 Live Cricket Score, RCB vs MI: MI struggle to 115/9 against RCB
The newly constructed rehabilitation colony at Dhanas is likely to be transferred from the Chandigarh Housing Board to the Municipal Corporation. While the Administration has passed the orders, the civic body is in a quandary over taking charge with civic amenities still in the process of being implemented. Also, several residents are still awaiting allotment of the tenements.
A total of 8,448 one-room tenements have been constructed at Dhanas for rehabilitation of slum dwellers. The keys were handed over by the Prime Minister in September this year. After the demolition of Colony Number 5, more allottes have been shifted to Dhanas. However, the process of allotment is still going on with problems like incomplete documentation, etc being there.
Mayor Subhash Chawla said, "The Administration has asked us to take over the colony. This would entail ensuring provision of all basic amenities to the rehabilitation colony. It would be a challenge as people are still shifting and taking possession of the houses."
The colonies under the scheme that have previously been constructed are still under the CHB. This would be the first colony to be transferred in such a short time to the Municipal Corporation. It has been demanded that funds to manage the colony be transferred also. The civic body has time and again demanded transfer of several functions from the Administration. The civic body is still in a quandary over taking over the colony. With a population of more than 40,000 to shift, more staff would also be required.