Dholera will be better developed than Delhi: Narendra Modi
- Telangana LIVE: Bill passed by throwing all norms to the wind, says Kiran Kumar Reddy after quitting Congress
- Protests in RS over Telangana, papers snatched from Secretary General
- Rajiv Gandhi killers to be released, Jayalalithaa takes decision at Tamil Nadu Cabinet meet
- Decision to black out Telangana proceedings taken by Lok Sabha secretariat, confirms Kamal Nath
- Express 5: AAP kickstarts its poll funding drive and Telangana Bill passed in Lok Sabha
Stressing the need for developing urban and rural areas simultaneously, Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi today said that port city of Dholera will be developed better than Delhi and six times bigger than China's financial capital Shanghai.
"Dholera will be developed better than Delhi and six times bigger than Shanghai", Modi said at the end of a panel discussion on "rurbanisation", organised as a part of a series of programmes heralding the Vibrant Gujarat Global Investors Summit.
Rurbanisation is modelled on the concept of creating "big villages" with rural soul but with an urban feel and all facilities that a city has, he said.
Dholera, a port city, is located 140 kms from here in the Gulf of Khambat coastline in Dhandhuka taluka. The state government is planning to develop it as a Special Investment Region (SIR).
Emphasising the need to develop twin cities, the chief minister cited instances of how Surat-Navsari, Ahmedabad-Gandhinagar, Surendranagar-Vadhwan, Bharuch-Ankleshwar and Vadodara-Halol and Kalol were developed as twin cities by ensuring total and inclusive growth in both the cities.
"Urbanisation was considered a big problem when it initially set in and there was a fear associated with urban cities. However, people and government considered urbanisation as an opportunity and welcomed it", Modi said.
He said the state government was focusing on 'rurbanisation" as it considers it was important to provide amenities available in urban centres in rural areas as well.
"Providing Urban Amenities to Rural Areas (PURA) is a vision of former President of India A P J Abdul Kalam and Gujarat will be the first state to achieve this vision", he added.
- Chance discovery of a photograph led to the arrest of two policemen, two others in murder case
- Death sentence: Man used company’s car to kidnap teen, it led to arrest of all three
- Kievan halves
- Khurshid likely to meet Pakistani counterpart today
- Tenants murdered landlady, daughter to claim ownership of house: Police
- Common causes