'Dhoom 3' song 'Malang' gets Katrina, Aamir in trouble
- CBI sought part RTI exemption, Govt gave it full
- Screen Awards: Milkha, Ram-Leela and Madras Cafe dominate
- DGCA seeks fresh public objections after clearing AirAsia for take-off
- Delhi: 51-year-old Danish national alleges gangrape, 15 detained for questioning
- I wonder if I will be able to ever reunite with my husband, my kids. I miss them: Devyani
Lyricist Sameer Anjaan who has been writing songs for last 30 years is in trouble for his latest 'Dhoom 3' song 'Malang'.
The Madariya Sufi community has sent a legal notice to actors Aamir Khan and Katrina Kaif, producer Yash Raj Films and lyricist Sameer Anjan for the song 'Malang' in 'Dhoom 3'.
The community has apparently accused the song of hurting its religious sentiments.
But Sameer who has in the past written lucid songs like 'Nazar Ke Saamne' (Aashiqui), 'Tum Paas Aaye' (Kuch Kuch Hota Hai) and 'Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham' says he is proud of the 'Malang' song. "These sort of litigation and legal troubles just before the release of a film have become a way of troubling filmmakers unnecessarily. Just see what the people behind Ram-Leela had to go through. Even I was pulled up unnecessarily for an earlier song 'Anarkali Disco Chali' in Housefull 2. There was legal action against that song with people arguing that Anarkali was a historical figure."
'Malang', says Sameer, is a sublime song. "It cannot hurt anyone. It's a beautiful and pure Sufi love song. But the matter has gone legal for no reason. So many crores from minority communities exist without any objection to what is being created. It's only one person who gets up and decides to become the self-appointed spokesperson of the community."
The prolific lyricist recalls an earlier song-trouble. "I had written a song called 'Kahan Raja Bhoj Kahaan Gangu Teli' in the Govinda-Raveena starrer Dulhe Raja. The teli community from Lucknow got up to make a claim of defamation over the lyrics. That phrase 'Kahan Raja Bhoj'... has existed as an adage for generations. No one raised an eyebrow against it until my song became a hit."
Sameer calls for stringent rules against nuisance litigation. "This sort of arm-twisting when a film is on the verge of release is extremely stressful. It must be stopped. Otherwise it would become impossible for the entertainment industry. Filmmakers, technicians, story writer and song writers are unnecessarily hassled. The entire artistic community is stifled by this atmosphere of intolerance. I've to think a dozen times over every word I use ensuring that nothing hurts any community. How can we function in this vitiated atmosphere?'
- â€˜Someone should remind the CM weâ€™re also aam aadmi. But theyâ€™ve turned us intoÂ demonsâ€™
- Kapil Sibal to contest from Chandni Chowk in 2014, even if Arvind Kejriwal inÂ fray
- AAP names Bharti victims, uploads eight videos targeting Africans in Delhi
- Arvind Kejriwal likely to pass Jan Lokpal Bill in February, says the fight for new independence hasÂ begun