Dhule riot not planned, says R R Patil
Home minister R R Patil said Wednesday the Dhule riot of Sunday was not pre-planned. He promised a thorough probe into the violence.
"It does not seem like the riot was orchestrated. A fight broke out over a trivial issue and snowballed into a riot. Stone-pelting was spontaneous and so was use of acid. There will certainly be a magistrate probe into the (police) firing.
"However, distrust between the two communities in the region has grown considerably. Trust in police and state machinery has come down," Patil said.
The home minister said he had already discussed with CM the possibility of providing financial compensation to the injured and to kin of deceased, as demanded by a delegation led by Maharashtra State Minorities Commission chairman Munaf Hakim and NCP minister Hasan Mushrif.
Meanwhile, a man injured in the riot died, taking the toll to six.
Curfew continues in Dhule
Dhule: Curfew continued in parts of Dhule for the fourth day Wednesday in the wake of communal violence and subsequent police firing that claimed five lives. Meanwhile, police found a stockpile of empty bottles, acid-filled cans, kerosene, sticks and stones on the terrace of a three-storey building in the town.
Eye on Owaisi
State home minister RR Patil said Wednesday MIM MLA from Hyderabad Akbaruddin Owaisi will not be allowed to address a planned meeting in Aurangabad on February 2 if he continues to inflame communal passions. "If Owaisi is going to make inflammatory speeches, we will not allow him to even enter Maharashtra."