Dhunjibhoy is new chairman of RWITC
- Memon’s lawyers move SC seeking stay on his execution, high drama outside CJI's house
- ISIS preparing to attack India, likely to spark Indo-US confrontation: report
- Afghan intelligence: Taliban leader Mullah Omar dead for more than 2 years
- Whistleblower Sanjiv Chaturvedi, Anshu Gupta win Magsaysay award
- Abdul Kalam's mortal remains arrive in his hometown Rameswaram
Khushroo Dhunjibhoy, of the Nanoli Stud Farm, will take over as the new chairman of the Royal Western India Turf Club (RWITC) for 2012-13, edging out three-time chairman Vivek Jain 5-4 at the 97th Annual General Meeting (AGM) held at the Mahalaxmi Race Course Tuesday.
According to the RWITC website, 1,061 votes were cast for the elections of which 16 were invalid. Jain won the overall majority with 824 votes. Champaklal Zaveri received 760 votes, while Khushroo Dhunjibhoy won 567 votes. While 11 members had contested for several posts in the panel, Maj SK Lamba and DS Oza did not qualify as they secured 310 and 93 votes. While Dhunjibhoy was visibly elated on the results, he said there will be a string of new ideas that he will be implementing, which in turn will be helpful for the sport. Dhunjibhoy's election marks his return to the post that Vivek Jain had made his own in the past three years.
On the other hand, elections for the Board of Appeal saw Asif Lampwala and Byram Jeejeebhoy win the highest votes with 623 and 579 votes respectively. On the other hand RM Seth and DS Oza did not qualify to become members for the Board of Appeal. Around 1,061 votes were cast of which 1,038 were valid and 23 invalid.