Did not know relatives owned flats in Adarsh society: Chavan to panel
- Would prefer to go to Pakistan than stop criticising Modi: Omar Abdullah
- Centre calls off trip over China no to Arunachal youth
- JuD chief Hafiz Saeed: Hindus safe in Pakistan unlike Muslims in Gujarat
- In this TN seat, Cong, BJP and AAP take centrestage
- How is it our responsibility to stop Modi, ask Faizabadâs Muslims
Former Maharashtra Chief Minister and a prime accused in the Adarsh cooperative housing society scam, Ashok Chavan, on Thursday told the Adarsh judicial panel that he was unaware that his family members owned flats in the society until the media highlighted it in 2010.
Chavan's mother-in-law Bhagvati Sharma, his father-in-law's brother Madanlal Sharma and his sister-in-law Seema Sharma owned flats in the Adarsh society. Chavan had to step down as chief minister after it emerged that his relatives owned flats in the building.
"It was at the end of October 2010 that I came to know that some of my relatives had applied for membership in Adarsh society and the same was granted to them," Chavan told the two-member commission led by Justice (retd) J A Patil.
Chavan was made to appear before the commission for the second time to depose on the aspect of membership, as he had refrained from touching on this issue earlier. In June, Chavan had deposed before the commission on the allegations against him of providing undue favours while granting permission for construction of the Adarsh building.
Chavan said he was also not aware if Seema Sharma's application for society membership was rejected in 2004 but approved in 2008 when he was the chief minister. He said soon after he came to know of his relatives' membership, they relinquished the flats.
- Five months after gruesome ATM attack, accused still at large
- Ex-syndicate member of Bangalore University held in marks-for-cash scam
- Accused get bail as police fail to file chargesheet
- ‘Naxals collected info on trucks carrying explosives from Khadki to Ahmednagar’
- A tale of two villages: Ramayan and Mahabharat
- UP CM tears into Modi bastion on first visit to Gujarat, says Third Front ready