Differences among BJP members on reservation in promotion
- Rail Budget 2015: No hike in passenger fares, Prabhu promises modern rail network
- Rail Budget: Ally Shiv Sena not satisfied, but Mulayam says Prabhu has done a 'good job'
- Rail Budget futuristic and passenger centric: PM Modi
- PDP, BJP thrash out differences; all clear for Mufti-Modi meeting tomorrow
- Hummer horror: Senior policeman suspended for secretly meeting Kerala businessman
Differences cropped up among BJP MPs on the issue of providing reservation in promotion for SC and ST government employees a day after a bill in this regard was passed by the Rajya Sabha.
"On the issue of reservation, yes there were discussions and different voices also came about. But the leaders explained that whole Constitutional amendment has been changed substantially because of the intervention of BJP," party spokesperson Ravi Shankar Prasad said today.
He was talking to reporters after BJP Parliamentary party meeting here.
Prasad said the leaders explained that the norms of efficiency (in governance) under Article 335 of the
Constitution shall not be ignored even while giving promotion to SC/ST employees.
"Those who have been promoted post-1995 will not be reverted. The government has given an assurance that this being an enabling provision, the Centre will write to all the states to ensure that those who have been promoted, their interest is not adversely impacted due to the amendment," he said.
While BJP had supported the measure, its NDA partner Shiv Sena is opposed to it, besides Samajwadi Party which was isolated during voting in the Upper House where the Bill was passed by overwhelming majority.