Digital smart card driving licences soon
- 20 Indians killed by Saudi-led air strikes on Yemen's Hodeidah port: Reports
- Rakesh Maria to head Sheena murder case till probe is completed
- Smriti hits back on 'hawaa baazi' remark by Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi asks industry to take risk, invest; India Inc wants rate cut
- Sheena case: Sanjeev Khanna moves application over 'illegal' detention
Soon, smart card-based driving licences with biometric thumb impression and digital signatures will be issued in the state. The decision to this effect was taken at the cabinet meeting chaired by Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav in Lucknow on Thursday.
The smart card-based licenses, which will use a software developed by Hyderabad-based National Informatics Centre, will help prevent fraud in issuing the driving licences.
For getting the licence, the applicant has to personally go to transport office and his biometric thumb impression, picture, digital signature will be taken. The information will be stored in a database, thus restricting the possibility of issuing another licence from any other district's transport office. The database will be used for development of a state register and a national register. In case of issuance of challan and any other penalty, the details will be stored in the chip of the licence for an effective action against the defaulter.
Subsidy to betel growers