Digital smart card driving licences soon
- Malaysia Airlines plane with 5 Indians onboard missing, presumed crashed off Vietnam coast
- Bharatiya Janata Party releases second list of candidates for Lok Sabha elections
- No compromise with live-ins or gay rights, moral values supreme: RSS
- In Mumbai, new warship system malfunctions, Navy officer killed
- I'm not a terrorist, Modi should have met me: Arvind Kejriwal
Soon, smart card-based driving licences with biometric thumb impression and digital signatures will be issued in the state. The decision to this effect was taken at the cabinet meeting chaired by Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav in Lucknow on Thursday.
The smart card-based licenses, which will use a software developed by Hyderabad-based National Informatics Centre, will help prevent fraud in issuing the driving licences.
For getting the licence, the applicant has to personally go to transport office and his biometric thumb impression, picture, digital signature will be taken. The information will be stored in a database, thus restricting the possibility of issuing another licence from any other district's transport office. The database will be used for development of a state register and a national register. In case of issuance of challan and any other penalty, the details will be stored in the chip of the licence for an effective action against the defaulter.
Subsidy to betel growers
The cabinet also decided to implement a scheme to support betel growers. The scheme with a corpus of Rs 1 crore will be implemented in 21 districts, including Lucknow. Betel growers will be given a 50 per cent subsidy, which is Rs 75,680 per 1,500 square meter of betel field. It will help cover the loss incurred by betel growers due to inclement weather conditions.
- Chai pe Charcha gets police protection, EC officials to check on poll norm violation
- Complaint against Kejriwal: Kutch cops gather evidence
- AAP chief to hold first public meeting in Gujarat today
- Nominations for North Bangalore primary begin
- ‘Our campaigning in the state will be out of the box’
- ‘Aai Retire Hotey’ to take the stage for 100th time today