Digital smart card driving licences soon
- Thousands turn up at Narendra Modi's Varanasi roadshow, BJP's PM candidate files nomination papers
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Congress moves EC over Modi's roadshow in Varanasi
- From Marandi vs Soren to Deora vs Sanyal: Top 5 battles in Lok Sabha polls Phase 6
- Rahul Gandhi joins sister Priyanka in attacking Narendra Modi on snoopgate
- Elections 2014 Phase 6 LIVE: 40 per cent electorate caste vote in first seven hours
Soon, smart card-based driving licences with biometric thumb impression and digital signatures will be issued in the state. The decision to this effect was taken at the cabinet meeting chaired by Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav in Lucknow on Thursday.
The smart card-based licenses, which will use a software developed by Hyderabad-based National Informatics Centre, will help prevent fraud in issuing the driving licences.
For getting the licence, the applicant has to personally go to transport office and his biometric thumb impression, picture, digital signature will be taken. The information will be stored in a database, thus restricting the possibility of issuing another licence from any other district's transport office. The database will be used for development of a state register and a national register. In case of issuance of challan and any other penalty, the details will be stored in the chip of the licence for an effective action against the defaulter.
Subsidy to betel growers
The cabinet also decided to implement a scheme to support betel growers. The scheme with a corpus of Rs 1 crore will be implemented in 21 districts, including Lucknow. Betel growers will be given a 50 per cent subsidy, which is Rs 75,680 per 1,500 square meter of betel field. It will help cover the loss incurred by betel growers due to inclement weather conditions.
- At least 65 EVMs replaced in six Lok Sabha seats in Assam
- Twitter cofounder talks of 26/11, Indian farmers in new book
- UP records over 24 pc voter turnout till 11 AM, 20 per cent turnout in Chhattisgarh
- Arvind Kejriwal lashes out at BJP for attack on Somnath Bharti
- ANF official accused of killing youth a gallantry award winner
- Maharashtra: Poor turnout till 9 am in third phase of polling