Dilip Vengsarkar, Ajit Wadekar bat for M S Dhoni
- Myanmar says operation on militants was on Indian side of border
- Somnath Bharti's wife accuses him of domestic violence, DCW issues notice
- Debt-stressed Punjab farmer, who met Rahul Gandhi, commits suicide
- Jitender Tomar did not graduate from our varsity: RML Awadh University
- Railways staggers tatkal booking to ease pressure, upto 50 pc refund on cancellation
Former Indian captains Dilip Vengsarkar and Ajit Wadekar batted for current skipper Mahendra Singh Dhoni who has been facing a lot of criticism of late for the cricket team's failures.
"At the moment Dhoni is the only one in form. He should continue... India do not have an option," Vengsarkar told reporters after reaching here along with Ajit Wadekar to attend the golden jubilee celebration of a city-based sports club.
On the performance of Pakistan, Vengsarkar said,"Pakistan played extremely well. I think they played better in
all departments of the game."
"India need to improve a lot as the coming matches with England are very important," the batsman of yesteryears added.
Terming India coach Duncan Fletcher as "less than average", he said the team has been losing ever since the
Zimbabwean took over.
Vengsarkar, former chairman of the selection committee, also held excess cricket as one of the factors responsible for the recent failures of India.
"Excess of matches like World Cup, Tests, ODIs and T20s is responsible to a certain extent," he said.
Wadekar also praised Dhoni for his performance.
"He has been responsible for victory of Team India on many occasions," Wadekar said.
Another former skipper, Rahul Dravid, too, arrived here to attend the programme.