Diplomat arrest: Devyani fell victim to planned conspiracy, alleges father
- Mulayam asks teaching assistants to vote SP, EC sees a 'violation'
- BJP relents to Chandrababu Naidu's demands, alliance likely to continue
- Azam Khan threatens to move Supreme Court, slams EC's relief to Amit Shah
- PMO defends Manmohan Singh, says GDP has grown three times during UPA rule
- IPL 7 Live Cricket Score, RR vs SRH: RR struggle in modest chase against SRH
Uttam Khobragade on Thursday alleged a conspiracy behind the arrest of his diplomat daughter Devyani in New York and said all charges against her were fabricated as he dubbed US Attorney Preet Bharara's remarks after the incident as a "blatant" attack on the Indian judiciary.
"Please take cognisance of Bharara's utterance, that the Indian legal process is meant to 'silence' the maid," Khobragade, a former IAS officer, told reporters here.
"It is a blatant attack on the judiciary of India," he said. "Is it the Prime Minister or is it Preet Bharara who rules India?' he asked.
Khobragade accused the maid of fraud and said all charges must be dropped against Devyani.
"Devyani has been falsely implicated. The entire case is a conspiracy. The FIR against her was fabricated. The US must withdraw charges against my daughter," he demanded.
"I wish to thank the government and media for their role in handling of the case," the father said.
Raising further objections on Bharara's remarks, the father said, "What does his statement say? It says that the Indian courts were trying to silence the witness. That means Indian courts are not here to give justice but to silence the victim. Is it not a serious criminal contempt of court." "I want to make an appeal to the Supreme Court. Please take cognisance of this utterance, which is nothing but scandalising the process of justice in India," he said.
"This statement is clearly reflecting their mental state. It has confirmed the conspiracy. It is tantamount to saying that the Indian government is not protecting their citizens that is why we are protecting them sitting in New York," he said.
"I will try to meet Sonia Gandhi and Manmohan Singh. If this justice is simply not acceptable, then I will go on fast," he said.
- As EC website crashes due to overload, party workers use apps to locate voters
- An entire society in Kothrud could not vote
- Chaos, anger across city over missing names
- Mulayam pushes third front, says will stake claim to PM post
- Don’t look at my candidates, votes for me: Maya to Dalits
- AAP biggies focus on Vishwas, Kejri seats, other units suffer