Diplomat lauds Yash Chopra's contribution in promoting Switzerland
- In Mumbai, new warship system malfunctions, Navy officer killed
- SC calls Sahara proposal an âinsultâ, Subrata Roy to stay in jail till March 11
- I'm not a terrorist, Modi should have met me: Arvind Kejriwal
- Modi to hold 'Chai Pe Charcha' on women empowerment on Saturday
- Will not campaign for any candidate, says Anna Hazare
The contribution of legendary filmmaker Yash Chopra in promoting the scenic locales of Switzerland through his romantic films has been lauded by a senior diplomat from the country.
"He loved Switzerland. That is why even when he shot his films in Kashmir, he came to Switzerland to shoot more," Warner Nivergelt, Consul General of Switzerland in Mumbai, told a gathering of Goan businessmen yesterday.
Nivergelt also remembered visiting the late Bollywood legend's office in Mumbai.
"He had one wall full only with the awards from Switzerland," the Consul General said.
"Chopra came there for a honeymoon and later came back to shoot films there. He will be missed," Nivergelt said.
Describing his country as "peaceful and innovative" and extending an invitation to the Indian businessmen for trade ties, the diplomat said, "Switzerland has more than just chocolates, watches and cheese to offer to India. It has a lot to offer as a business opportunity as it is an European leader in innovations."
"Switzerland has been witnessing 3.3 per cent year by year growth in the innovation performance. We don't want to be just best but we want to be efficient, which is the key," he said.
Goa Chamber of Commerce and Industry (GCCI) President Manguirish Pai Raikar pointed out that the trade between both the countries stood at 4.8 billion USD during last year and it is expected to increase this year.
Raikar said the trade ties with Switzerland is a good idea because unlike India, the country has stable economy.
The function was organised by Swiss-Indian Chamber of Commerce, Consulate General of Switzerland in Mumbai and Goa Chamber of Commerce and Industry.
- Chai pe Charcha gets police protection, EC officials to check on poll norm violation
- Complaint against Kejriwal: Kutch cops gather evidence
- AAP chief to hold first public meeting in Gujarat today
- Nominations for North Bangalore primary begin
- ‘Our campaigning in the state will be out of the box’
- ‘Aai Retire Hotey’ to take the stage for 100th time today