Diplomat's father meets Union Ministers, seeks justice for daughter
- His hands tied, PM surrendered to Sonia: ex-media adviserâs book
- How can Modi honour women if he canât mention his wife, asks Rahul
- Mewat simmers after poll clash, killing of Muslim youth
- After rare skull surgery at AIIMS, twins from Kerala look like each other
- Elections 2014 LIVE: FIR against Azam Khan; Rahul to file nomination papers today
The father of India's Deputy Consul General in New York Devyani Khobragade met Union Ministers on Tuesday to complain about the arrest and strip search of his daughter by US authorities which he termed as violation of human rights and Vienna Convention.
Uttam Khobragade, father of 39-year-old Devyani, met Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde and External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid and demanded that the issue be resolved through "political and diplomatic" initiatives.
"It is not Devyani's insult, but of the nation as she is representing the country. Devyani has been made a target, a scapegoat.... It is the outcome of tussle going on between the Ministry of External Affairs and US State department for the last two years," he claimed.
He was speaking to media after meeting External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid.
The Indian diplomat was arrested and handcuffed in public on visa fraud charges last week. Khobragade, a 1999-batch IFS officer, was taken into custody on a street in New York as she was dropping her daughter to school, before being released on a USD 250,000 bond after pleading not guilty in court.
Khobragade said Shinde assured him that government will take necessary steps to ensure that she gets justice.
"They are aware of the development and fully convinced that my daughter is being unnecessarily harassed and humiliated. This is a clear case of human rights violation and violation of Vienna Convention. I have been assured that the government is working in every manner to ensure that no harm is done to my daughter," he said.
India today retaliated strongly by initiating series of steps to strip US diplomats and their families of privileges including withdrawing all airport passes and stopping import clearances for the embassy.
Alleging that Sangeeta Richard, the nanny hired by Devyani, has committed fraud, Khobragade said FIR against his daughter was registered "under a conspiracy" while the real culprit was the nanny. He said a case is pending against Richard in Indian court.
- Under attack over rape remark, SP chief Mulayam Yadav blames media
- JD(S) releases manifesto, vows to protect interests of state
- Ambareesh returns, says will sort ‘minor differences’
- Sagar Ghosh killing: Breather for DGP as HC stays single bench order
- Face of Gujarat riots is face of BJP: Mamata
- Cong seeks action against Advani on ‘wrong’ info in affidavit