Director Mehul Kumar sentenced to 2 years imprisonment
- NSA-level talks off: After war of words, India and Pak decide not to talk
- Security forces do their part, Saranda now waits for govt
- Death in Kerala’s mammoth love story, 50-year-old mourns alone
- Unbothered by NSA talks: At an India-Pakistan fair, they pick up the threads
- Kashmiri separatist leaders Bilal Lone, Shabir Shah and 2 others put under house arrest in Delhi
Director of yesteryear hit films like Krantiveer and Tiranga has been facing some serious financial trouble for some time now. With legal cases for nonpayment of dues mounting up, Mehul Kumar seems to be heading for a storm. Adding to his woes is a recent ruling by a Jaipur court that sentenced him to a two-year term in a cheque bounce case. However, he was later released on bail.
The court's ruling came following a complaint lodged by Manmohandas Mundada and Sunil Bansal, stating that Kumar had borrowed Rs. 50 lakhs from Mundada and paid the amount through a cheque that was not honoured. While in a separate case, another cheque, worth Rs. 10 lakhs that was given to Sunil Bansal too was not honoured.
Apparently, according the latest ruling, Kumar had to give Bansal Rs. 10 lakhs but with the added interest, the court has asked him to pay Rs. 17 lakhs. Furthermore, he has to pay Rs 46 lakhs interest to Mundada, which means he has to shell out Rs. 96 lakhs to Mundada.
If the already unthinkable amount wasn't enough, Kumar also owes various banks and private individuals a significant amount of money.
However, Mehul Kumar rubbished the allegations against him saying that it is all just a conspiracy against him.