'Disappointed' with David Headley punishment, says India
- Vote for Supriya Sule or lose water, âthreatensâ Ajit Pawar
- Watch video: Baba Ramdev caught on camera discussing money with BJP candidate
- Nobel laureate Gabriel Garcia Marquez dies at 87
- 5th phase of elections: Moderate to high turnout on biggest voting day
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Protests against Kejriwal in Varanasi; Modi's rally stage collapses due to rain
Union Home Secretary R K Singh said, "We want death sentence for Headley and those who were involved in the Mumbai attack. We will keep asking for his death sentence. Headley was involved not only in the Mumbai conspiracy, but he also carried out recce in other places. Our request for his extradition stands."
BJP spokesperson Rajiv Pratap Rudy said his party would "accept nothing short of extradition", and that "no Indian can settle for less than death sentence for Headley".
A statement from the US embassy, however, said the 35-year sentence "reflects both severe punishment for Headley's role in the heinous 26/11 crimes and a decision by the US Department of Justice not to seek the death penalty". It said Headley had provided information that was of "substantial value in our efforts to combat international terrorism and to save lives", and had testified against co-conspirator Rana.
Besides assisting US investigators in bringing criminal charges against five other terrorists, Headley had provided authorities with details about the structure, personnel, methods, abilities and plans of the Lashkar-e-Toiba, the statement said.
"The US and India counter-terrorism cooperation is stronger than ever... We are working together to see that those responsible for 26/11 and other acts of terrorism are brought to justice, wherever they may be," it said.
- As EC website crashes due to overload, party workers use apps to locate voters
- An entire society in Kothrud could not vote
- Chaos, anger across city over missing names
- Mulayam pushes third front, says will stake claim to PM post
- Don’t look at my candidates, votes for me: Maya to Dalits
- AAP biggies focus on Vishwas, Kejri seats, other units suffer