Discovery Networks to launch 24-hour Tamil channel
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Kejriwal on dharna against attack on Bharti; Modi to file nomination from Varanasi
- Modi to Cong: Just 20 days more...Will take revenge
- SC to frame rules to snip govt ads
- Donât allow regional parties to contest LS polls: Chavan
- Elections 2014 Phase 6 LIVE: Modi urges youngsters to vote; Medha Patkar alleges money distribution by parties
On Wednesday, Broadcasting major, Discovery Networks Asia-Pacific, said it will launch a 24-hour Tamil channel on August 15, the seventh channel in its portfolio for the country.
At present, Discovery's flagship 'Discovery Channel' is available in a Tamil language feed.
"We received a huge response to the Tamil feed of Discovery and we realised that the viewership pattern in Tamil Nadu demanded customised product offerings. This has encouraged us to launch a dedicated new channel with focused programming for this audience," Discovery Networks Asia-Pacific Senior Vice-President and General Manager (South Asia) Rahul Johri said.
However, he declined to comment on any investment numbers.
Discovery is confident that both local and national advertisers, targeting a unique and quality audience, will find its network a compelling advantage, he said.
Discovery Networks Asia-Pacific currently has six channels -- Discovery Channel, Animal Planet, TLC, Discovery Science, Discovery Turbo and Discovery HD World -- in the country, reaching 169 million households.
The channel, to be launched on August 15, will feature programmes across various genres – adventure, survival, science, engineering, natural history, investigation and
The channel will be distributed through One Alliance (a distribution joint venture between Discovery and Multi Screen Media) and will be available on both analog and digital platforms.
"While it is already available with cable operators, discussions with direct-to-home (DTH) operators are going on," Johri said.
The channel will be available to 10 million cable and satellite households from the very first day.
Discovery Tamil will be a paid channel, available at Rs 16.05 (a la carte) in non-conditional access system (non-CAS) areas, at Rs 5.35 in CAS areas, while in the case of DTH, the channel will be available at Rs 8.
Globally, Discovery Communications reaches more than 1.5 billion subscribers in 210 countries and territories.
- Hyderabad blast 2013: Agencies hunt for Mangalore ‘source’
- Police raids Giriraj Singh's home to arrest him for hate remarks
- Main accused in hawala racket has underworld links: Police
- Sindhu, Kashyap advance, Srikanth exits early at Asian C’ships
- Adhiban recovers, stays in lead
- 1 jumps to death as fire breaks out in Surat 10-storey building