Dist gears up for panchayat elections, polling today
- Ditched by Anna, Mamata rallies â around herself
- AAPâs existence a miracle of Bhagwan, Allah: Kejriwal at Mumbai road show
- CBI chief for closing Lalu cases, director of prosecution doesnât agree
- Maoist attack: gaps between official version, facts on ground
- Trouble for Khobragade as govt finds daughters have US, Indian passports
The district administration is all geared up for the panchayat polls scheduled for Wednesday, Ludhiana deputy commissioner Rahul Tewari said here on Tuesday. Elections will be held for 801 village panchayats as around 127 of the panchayats have already been unanimously elected. Polling will be held between 8 am and 4 pm on Wednesday. Around 1,975 candidates will vie for 801 sarpanch posts while 8,562 candidates will battle it out for the panchayat seats; 2,074 panches have already won without polls. Tewari said that around 10,000 staff have been put on election duty with a majority of them having already reached their polling booths with election material. There will be two types of ballot papers: pink for sarpanches and white for panches. Counting will also be held on Wednesday and results will be declared by late evening.