District-level wrestler shot dead in Gurgaon
- LIVE: ISI supports LeT, JeM and Hizbul, David Headley tells court
- J&K govt formation: Ram Madhav to hold talks with Mehbooba Mufti to break impasse
- Soldier, who survived Siachen avalanche, being flown to Delhi hospital
- DDCA row: Delhi HC dismisses Kirti Azad's plea seeking court-monitored probe
- Net bad assets of govt banks a third of their net worth
A district-level wrestler was shot dead by two motorcycle-borne men near the busy Tau Devi Lal Stadium in Sector-38, Gurgaon, on Sunday evening.
Rakesh Yadav alias Raku (24) had driven out of the stadium in his Maruti Alto when the two men stopped their motorcycle in front of his car, police said. They asked Yadav to come out of the car and when he refused, they opened fire at him.
He received four to five bullet injuries in his head and chest and was taken to Medanta Hospital, where he succumbed to injuries later, police said.
According to police, Yadav had gone to Tau Devi Lal Stadium to meet friends and was on his way home in Badshahpur, when he was waylaid.
Eyewitnesses told police that after shooting Yadav, the men tried to flee on the motorcycle. But it developed a snag and they were forced to abandon it.
Police have seized the Hero Honda Passion and are tracking the registration number.
Police said the motive behind the attack was not certain yet, though sources said it could be a result of personal enmity.
"We have registered an FIR," DCP (East) Maheshwar Dayal said.
Yadav had participated in several wrestling events held in Haryana. He married a year ago.