DMK candidate V Maran, five others file nominations for Yercaud by-poll
- LIVE: Rahul Gandhi returns to Delhi from sabbatical
- The two critical by-poll results which were overlooked
- 80 crore youth, 160 crore strong hands. What can we not achieve?
- Corporate war between media house, operator confounding net neutrality debate: TRAI chief Rahul Khullar
- Military institute student to son of ex-judge, Islamic State taps Dhaka gen-next
DMK candidate V Maran and five others on Saturday filed their nominations for the December 4 Yercaud (ST) by-poll which is likely to witness a direct face-off between archrivals DMK and AIADMK.
Nominations for the reserved constituency started today. Election to the hill constituency was necessitated following the death of AIADMK legislator C Perumal, and party chief J Jayalalithaa has fielded the widow of the deceased MLA, Saroja.
So far, with other parties including DMDK not announcing candidates, the election seems to be a direct battle between the two Dravidian rivals even as DMK Chief M Karunanidhi has written to all opposition parties seeking support to his
Nominations close on November 16 and the papers would be taken up for scrutiny on November 18.
Further, EC also announced the appointment of Ravi Prakash Arora from Uttar Pradesh Cadre as the General Observer.
Arora is is expected to report to the constituency by November 16, a release from the office of Tamil Nadu Chief Electoral Office (CEO), Praveen Kumar, said.
Further, Pankaj Kumar Jindal IRS is Expenditure Observer.
EC also said the notification for bye-election to the constituency has been published today.