DMK candidate V Maran, five others file nominations for Yercaud by-poll
- Malaysia Airlines plane with 5 Indians onboard missing, presumed crashed off Vietnam coast
- Yeddyurappa among 52 Bharatiya Janata Party candidates for Lok Sabha polls
- No compromise with live-ins or gay rights, moral values supreme: RSS
- In Mumbai, new warship system malfunctions, Navy officer killed
- I'm not a terrorist, Modi should have met me: Arvind Kejriwal
DMK candidate V Maran and five others on Saturday filed their nominations for the December 4 Yercaud (ST) by-poll which is likely to witness a direct face-off between archrivals DMK and AIADMK.
Nominations for the reserved constituency started today. Election to the hill constituency was necessitated following the death of AIADMK legislator C Perumal, and party chief J Jayalalithaa has fielded the widow of the deceased MLA, Saroja.
So far, with other parties including DMDK not announcing candidates, the election seems to be a direct battle between the two Dravidian rivals even as DMK Chief M Karunanidhi has written to all opposition parties seeking support to his
Nominations close on November 16 and the papers would be taken up for scrutiny on November 18.
Further, EC also announced the appointment of Ravi Prakash Arora from Uttar Pradesh Cadre as the General Observer.
Arora is is expected to report to the constituency by November 16, a release from the office of Tamil Nadu Chief Electoral Office (CEO), Praveen Kumar, said.
Further, Pankaj Kumar Jindal IRS is Expenditure Observer.
EC also said the notification for bye-election to the constituency has been published today.
- Chai pe Charcha gets police protection, EC officials to check on poll norm violation
- Complaint against Kejriwal: Kutch cops gather evidence
- AAP chief to hold first public meeting in Gujarat today
- Nominations for North Bangalore primary begin
- ‘Our campaigning in the state will be out of the box’
- ‘Aai Retire Hotey’ to take the stage for 100th time today