DMK, MDMK flay 'derogatory' reference to Nadars in CBSE book
- CBI sought part RTI exemption, Govt gave it full
- Screen Awards: Milkha, Ram-Leela and Madras Cafe dominate
- DGCA seeks fresh public objections after clearing AirAsia for take-off
- Delhi: 51-year-old Danish national alleges gangrape, 15 detained for questioning
- I wonder if I will be able to ever reunite with my husband, my kids. I miss them: Devyani
DMK and MDMK on Friday voiced concern over the depiction of a particular community in Tamil Nadu in CBSE textbook allegedly in a derogatory manner.
DMK chief M Karunanidhi and MDMK founder Vaiko said the CBSE Class IX Social Science textbook had painted in 'bad light' the Nadar community, largely concentrated in southern districts of the state and known for their trade and business acumen, and called for removal of the content.
"It is condemnable that they have been mentioned as migrants to southern districts of the state which is contrary to fact," Karunanidhi said.
Responding to a set of questions in party mouthpiece 'Murasoli,' he said tall leaders including Congress veteran and former Chief Minister K Kamaraj, credited with introducing the noon-meal scheme to increase school enrollment, hailed from Nadar community.
Listing out freedom fighters and other political leaders from the community, he recalled their contribution to society.
"I would call it an unpardonable mistake to belittle the contribution (of Nadars) by writing things contrary to fact. I insist that those concerned should immediately take efforts to rectify the mistake," he said.
Vaiko said Nadar leaders played a significant role in ensuring Kanyakumari remained with Tamil Nadu during reorganisation of states on linguistic basis despite strong efforts to make it a part of Kerala.
He announced he would lead a protest outside the Head Post Office at Nagercoil on November 2 against CBSE, demanding that the controversial reference be removed.
- LIVE: Arvind Kejriwal targets Reliance Industries
- My heart bleeds to see what is happening in the House: ManmohanÂ Singh
- Sonia named Chairperson of Congress Campaign panel for LS polls, Rahul ViceÂ Chairman
- US free to interact with Modi, but must apply standards consistent with its policy on human rights:Â Khurshid