DMK MP held for ‘forgery, cheating’
- A person killing people with Quran in his hand is not Muslim, but a terrorist: Aamir Khan at #RNGAwards
- Dubai shuts down part of metro's green line over large fire
- Oceans, cyberworld should not become new theatres of contests: PM Modi
- Financial transactions motive behind Sheena's murder, CBI tells court
- J&K: Army jawan, three terrorists killed in separate encounters
The Chennai city police crime branch on Tuesday arrested DMK Lok Sabha MP Shivakumar, Shri K alias J K Ritheesh on charges of forging documents and cheating. He was later taken to the Additional CMM Court in Egmore and remanded to 15-day custody.
The first-time Ramanathapuram MP was arrested based on a complaint lodged by one Prabhakaran.
The complainant had stated that Ritheesh had entered into an agreement with his late father to facilitate the purchase of land for which he collected nearly Rs 20 crore in advance. However, the promise was not kept.
When Prabhakaran approached the MP, both of them signed another pact under which Ritheesh was to either buy and hand over the land or return the money in September. Not only did the MP failed to keep his word, he also threatened Prabhakaran when he sought back his money.
The police said that there was prima facie evidence of wrongdoing against him. The MP has been sent to Puzhal Central Prison in the outskirts of the city. The police is planning to inform the Lok Sabha Speaker about the arrest as the Parliament is in session.
A relative novice in politics, Ritheesh was a surprise choice for the Ramanathapuram seat. He was favoured by Union minister and DMK's south zone organising secretary MK Alagiri.
- Frequent promulgation of ordinances has more to do with managerial ethos
- Indian peacekeeping abroad: Samantha Power shows some deft diplomacy
- The needs of the time shape the character of the myth- Tipu Sultan
- Raja-Mandala: Japan’s counter to China’s silk road
- It started with Perumal
- Open channels of communication are vital for democracy and governance