DMK MP held for ‘forgery, cheating’
- Hang me if I have committed crime, no apology: Modi
- Fifth phase of Lok Sabha elections in 121 seats on Thursday
- April 16 campaign roundup: Narendra Modi in firing line of Gandhis
- N Srinivasan faces serious charges, canât return until probe: Supreme Court
- Kolkata Knight Riders seal opener in comprehensive fashion
The Chennai city police crime branch on Tuesday arrested DMK Lok Sabha MP Shivakumar, Shri K alias J K Ritheesh on charges of forging documents and cheating. He was later taken to the Additional CMM Court in Egmore and remanded to 15-day custody.
The first-time Ramanathapuram MP was arrested based on a complaint lodged by one Prabhakaran.
The complainant had stated that Ritheesh had entered into an agreement with his late father to facilitate the purchase of land for which he collected nearly Rs 20 crore in advance. However, the promise was not kept.
When Prabhakaran approached the MP, both of them signed another pact under which Ritheesh was to either buy and hand over the land or return the money in September. Not only did the MP failed to keep his word, he also threatened Prabhakaran when he sought back his money.
The police said that there was prima facie evidence of wrongdoing against him. The MP has been sent to Puzhal Central Prison in the outskirts of the city. The police is planning to inform the Lok Sabha Speaker about the arrest as the Parliament is in session.
A relative novice in politics, Ritheesh was a surprise choice for the Ramanathapuram seat. He was favoured by Union minister and DMK's south zone organising secretary MK Alagiri.
He was arrested almost exactly a year ago for alleged land grabbing.
- Teacher at school in Rohini accused of molesting eight-year-old girl: Police
- In Sushma seat, BJP tweaks Modi slogan
- In Rampur, Azam Khan charm wanes
- In Sambhal, what matters more than Modi is a railway link
- Cong, BJP don’t favour polls, to wait for LS results
- Purandeswari to contest from Rajampet on a BJP ticket