DMK to back Raja's request if issue comes up in UPA meeting
- Omar on Burhan Wani: He is the new 'icon' of disaffected community
- The worry: What Burhan Wani's death could give life to
- Kashmir: Amarnath Yatra suspended after Hizbul Mujahideen commander's death
- At least 5 women in 15 from Kerala missing, feared to be with ISIS
- The engagements PM Modi has in Durban today
With ally DMK endorsing A Raja's wish to appear as a witness before the Joint Parliamentary Committee examining the 2G allocation and pricing of spectrum from 1998 to 2009, the Congress is finding itself in a fix. JPC Chairman P C Chacko, it is learnt, has decided to consult panel members before taking a call on summoning the former Telecom minister.
Raja has always argued that the Prime Minister's office was aware of the decisions regarding allocation of spectrum licenses. His deposition, therefore, could be used by the Opposition to mount a fresh attack on the government. DMK members in the panel, T R Baalu and Tiruchi Shiva, have demanded that both Raja and Shahid Balwa of Swan Telecom be summoned.
- Let’s celebrate Madras HC verdict on Perumal Murugan. But do we need the court to allow us to tell stories?
- Sabri’s killing gives a measure of how Pakistan has allowed the city to drift
- Diplomacy’s lexicon sets store by discreetness and politesse, which cannot be derided as yachna or begging
- For Jagjivan Ram the panacea for social ills lay in integration, not confrontation
- A note for Mr Prakash Javadekar
- Brexit vote shows democracy can defeat itself