DMK to back Raja's request if issue comes up in UPA meeting
- PM Modi discusses GST bill with Manmohan, Sonia at 7 RCR; Cong says demands non-political
- Withdraw convocation invite to Narendra Modi: Jamia Millia alumni to VC
- PoK will remain with Pakistan, J&K will remain with India: Farooq Abdullah
- Liquor ban in Bihar: Nitish Kumar's poll promise to women comes at a high cost
- Amarinder Singh appointed as new Punjab Cong President
With ally DMK endorsing A Raja's wish to appear as a witness before the Joint Parliamentary Committee examining the 2G allocation and pricing of spectrum from 1998 to 2009, the Congress is finding itself in a fix. JPC Chairman P C Chacko, it is learnt, has decided to consult panel members before taking a call on summoning the former Telecom minister.
Raja has always argued that the Prime Minister's office was aware of the decisions regarding allocation of spectrum licenses. His deposition, therefore, could be used by the Opposition to mount a fresh attack on the government. DMK members in the panel, T R Baalu and Tiruchi Shiva, have demanded that both Raja and Shahid Balwa of Swan Telecom be summoned.
- Why every patriot should be worried, and, yes, ashamed
- Douglass North emphasised institutions when markets were the focus
- ‘Bovine Divine’ controversy lurched between the horrific and the comic
- PM Modi’s achievements abroad appear to cut little ice back home
- Post 13/11 sloganeering at Antalya and Kuala Lumpur won’t be enough
- Can Parliament be insulated from the vagaries of the political climate?