Doctor couple get 5-year prison term for negligence
A local court has sentenced a doctor couple to five year rigorous imprisonment after holding them guilty of medical negligence in a 12-year-old case.
Additional district and session judge also slapped a fine of Rs 10,000 each yesterday.
Rajeshwari was admitted to a nursing home run by Dr SC Saraswat and his wife Dr Usha Saraswat in the city for treatment of high fever, prosecution said.
According to the prosecution, Rajeshwari was also pregnant at that time.
The doctors diagnosed her pregnancy as the cause behind the fever and removed her uterus after terminating her pregnancy.
That, however, proved to be of little help to the patient whose condition worsened as she kept losing blood.
She had to be rushed to a hospital in Agra where doctors managed to save her life, although she was left partially disabled in the process.
After a court's intervention a case was filed against the doctors couple.
- RTI reveals ‘flaws’ in preparation of poll rolls
- Post poll, parties do seat maths
- Cops speak for Pawar: ‘He didn’t threaten voters’
- Industrial bodies announce boycott of Bains
- EC issues notices to Bittu, Ayali
- Punjab dairy board asks for Rs 1.4 lakh for 70,000-page RTI reply, later delivers a few 100 pages ‘free of cost’