Doctor couple get 5-year prison term for negligence
- Parliament LIVE: Snooping on Rahul not right, says Congress; 'Asking for facts is not snooping'
- Waste paper to phone use: Govt revives checklist against leaks
- 14 booked for church vandalism in Haryana, cross replaced with Hanuman idol
- Pakistan: Protesters hit the streets after blasts near Lahore churches leave 15 dead
- No arrests in Bengal nun ‘rape’, church attack, local Christians nervous
A local court has sentenced a doctor couple to five year rigorous imprisonment after holding them guilty of medical negligence in a 12-year-old case.
Additional district and session judge also slapped a fine of Rs 10,000 each yesterday.
Rajeshwari was admitted to a nursing home run by Dr SC Saraswat and his wife Dr Usha Saraswat in the city for treatment of high fever, prosecution said.
According to the prosecution, Rajeshwari was also pregnant at that time.
The doctors diagnosed her pregnancy as the cause behind the fever and removed her uterus after terminating her pregnancy.
That, however, proved to be of little help to the patient whose condition worsened as she kept losing blood.
She had to be rushed to a hospital in Agra where doctors managed to save her life, although she was left partially disabled in the process.
After a court's intervention a case was filed against the doctors couple.