Doctor couple get 5-year prison term for negligence
- J&K: Two policemen arrested in connection with Budgam youth's killing
- Congress warms up for rally on land bill; launches 'Zameen Wapsi' website
- Railways gearing up to tackle crimes against women: Prabhu
- Alliance of Janata Parivar requires new political line, says Kerala JD(U) faction
- Indian Navy's ships return after participating in 'Operation Rahat'
A local court has sentenced a doctor couple to five year rigorous imprisonment after holding them guilty of medical negligence in a 12-year-old case.
Additional district and session judge also slapped a fine of Rs 10,000 each yesterday.
Rajeshwari was admitted to a nursing home run by Dr SC Saraswat and his wife Dr Usha Saraswat in the city for treatment of high fever, prosecution said.
According to the prosecution, Rajeshwari was also pregnant at that time.
The doctors diagnosed her pregnancy as the cause behind the fever and removed her uterus after terminating her pregnancy.
That, however, proved to be of little help to the patient whose condition worsened as she kept losing blood.
She had to be rushed to a hospital in Agra where doctors managed to save her life, although she was left partially disabled in the process.
After a court's intervention a case was filed against the doctors couple.