Doctor gets 10 years in jail for raping woman patient in hospital
- Vote for Supriya Sule or lose water, âthreatensâ Ajit Pawar
- Nobel laureate Gabriel Garcia Marquez dies at 87
- 5th phase of elections: Moderate to high turnout on biggest voting day
- Dhowan takes over as Navy Chief, superseded Sinha resigns
- Election Commission lifts ban on BJP leader Amit Shah after he promises to behave
A young doctor found guilty of raping a 30-year-old woman admitted to the ICU in a hospital at Navi Mumbai, was today sentenced to ten years imprisonment by a local court.
Thane Additional Sessions Judge R D Sawant handed out the punishment to Dr Vishal Vanne (26), who was also fined with Rs 1,000 along with another three-month imprisonment in the 2010 case.
Additional Public Prosecutor Sandhya Bacchav told the court that it was on October 16, 2010 the victim and her family including children, husband and a relative came to the Modern College grounds for Durga Pooja when she suffered uneasiness and was taken to the nearby Lotus Hospital in Vashi. That night she was admitted to the ICU as her condition worsened.
According to the complaint, the accused doctor was on night duty in the ward, where she was left alone with a staff nurse after a medical examination.
As the staff nurse was suffering from asthma, the accused asked her to leave the ICU and take rest. Thereafter the doctor allegedly gave an injection to the patient, making her drowsy.
The prosecution further told the court that after about two in the morning, the accused locked the door of the ICU from inside and molested the victim and also raped her repeatedly.
The victim, in her statement to the court said as she was not well that night, she could not shout or scream for help.
Next morning, when she narrated the incident to her husband, Vanne was handed over to the police.
The woman's husband told the court that on two occasions in the night he wanted to enter the ICU to check on the condition of his wife but could not do so as the door was locked from inside and also curtains were drawn.
- As EC website crashes due to overload, party workers use apps to locate voters
- An entire society in Kothrud could not vote
- Chaos, anger across city over missing names
- Mulayam pushes third front, says will stake claim to PM post
- Don’t look at my candidates, votes for me: Maya to Dalits
- AAP biggies focus on Vishwas, Kejri seats, other units suffer