Doctor promotes love-letter writing
- CBI sought part RTI exemption, Govt gave it full
- Screen Awards: Milkha, Ram-Leela and Madras Cafe dominate
- DGCA seeks fresh public objections after clearing AirAsia for take-off
- Delhi: 51-year-old Danish national alleges gangrape, 15 detained for questioning
- I wonder if I will be able to ever reunite with my husband, my kids. I miss them: Devyani
To revive the practice of writing love letters which has died a slow death after the advent of mobile phones and Internet, a naturopathy doctor promoting a "healthy heart" campaign has decided to organise a competition of writing love letters.
The competition to be organised in January 2013 by "Hriydaymitra", an NGO, will for the first time use the Internet and social networking sites in addition to regular letter writing to offer a wider platform for the lovelorn to give expression to their art of writing, Dr Shrikant Mundada said.
"For the first time, the Internet and social networking sites will be used in addition to regular letter writing to offer a wider platform for the lovelorn to give expression to their art of writing," he said.
It was way back in 1985 that Mundada, who used to write love letters for friends who groped for words to impress their heart throbs, thought of enlarging the canvass of lovebirds with the idea of organising a competition of writing love letters when the city still displayed orthodox leanings.
"In colleges, boys used to find it difficult to even verbally communicate with the opposite sex and were unable to express their feelings towards their fancies. I myself volunteered for some of my friends to write their love letters. In return I used to enjoy a "treat" of a masala dosa from a grateful lovebird," he said.
The contest started in 1985, then described as first-of-its-kind in the country, attracted 220 participants from both sexes and was held in Fergusson College for the age group 16-60.
"It drew a lot of flak from orthodox elements who considered the idea as socially abhorrent. But we brought out a book compiling best entries judged by noted writers for everyone to read the beautiful expressions of emotion of love," Mundada told PTI.
- â€˜Someone should remind the CM weâ€™re also aam aadmi. But theyâ€™ve turned us intoÂ demonsâ€™
- Kapil Sibal to contest from Chandni Chowk in 2014, even if Arvind Kejriwal inÂ fray
- AAP names Bharti victims, uploads eight videos targeting Africans in Delhi
- Arvind Kejriwal likely to pass Jan Lokpal Bill in February, says the fight for new independence hasÂ begun