Doing your job honestly is a form: Nawazuddin Siddiqui
- Uttar Pradesh Assembly Elections 2017 Phase 3 polling LIVE updates: 38.96 per cent voting till 1 pm
- Live updates: PM Modi addresses rally in Fatehpur
- Tamil Nadu trust vote: DMK announces hunger strike on February 22, M K Stalin booked for 'unlawful assembly'
- Malayalam actress molestation case: Kerala Police make two more arrests
- Balidan Diwas: Thousands of Jats gather to protest amid heightened security across Haryana
While saying the highly impassioned dialogues and reliving lives of freedom fighters, I would constantly think about that era and the mental state of the revolutionaries —their routine how they lived their lives
Was doing a film like Chittagong, which is based on a 1930 revolution in East India, an easy decision?
I was only too happy to be part of a film which depicted our freedom fighters during the British rule. Not many films are made on such themes, and I wanted to be associated with it.
Did playing the patriot, Nirmal Sen in Chittagong impact you in any way?
Definitely! While saying the highly impassioned dialogues and reliving lives of freedom fighters, I would constantly think about that era and the mental state of the revolutionaries—their routine how they lived their lives.
What did you learn while working in Chittagong?
I am from North India and had no knowledge about Surya Sen and his band of teenage revolutionaries and their movement against the British. While working in the film, I felt that every Indian should watch this film and learn about the passionate fervour prevalent even among little children at that time.
Which other Hindi film with a patriotic bend has impacted you the most?
The 1964 Haqeeqat directed by Chetan Anand. I think it was one of the best war films which depicted the lives of Indian officers in the armed forces. The song, Kar chale hum fida strikes a deep chord and is very soul stirring.
Which freedom fighter's courage and patriotism do you admire?
I like Gandhiji's philosophy on life and non-violence. And Ben Kingsley's portrayal of Gandhi in Gandhi left an indelible impression on my mind.
How can a person be patriotic in today's times?
Any person who does his work honestly and showcases India in a good light is a patriot. As an actor, my films should be screened worldwide and applauded. Earning accolades for your country through your work is also a form of patriotism.
- After Jayalalithaa’s death, the AIADMK is poised to undergo another self-destructing transformation
- Sasikala went only after trying to portray herself as a martyr
- Sasikala has no political experience, no qualification other than being Jayalalitha’s home help
- Inside track: Resort to tactics
- In Manipur, Cong battles fatigue, BJP struggles to grow roots. Irom Sharmila makes debut
- India should convince world that the choice between Islamic State and Taliban is a false one