Double celebration for White House on Independence Day
- Patna High Court stays Nitish Kumar's election as JD(U) legislature party chief
- Arvind Kejriwal gets down to business, calls for full statehood for Delhi
- President Pranab Mukherjee warns against deviation from constitutional principles
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: SIT to quiz Shashi Tharoor tomorrow
- Shanti Bhushan accuses Arvind Kejriwal of accepting 'tainted' money
As the US marked its Independence Day, the occasion for the White House came with a double celebration as President Barack Obama's elder daughter Malia turned 15."And by the way, it's Malia's birthday, so she is appreciative that you're all going to be wishing her happy birthday as well," Obama said amidst applause at a White House event to celebrate America's 237th Independence Day.
Malia, the eldest of the two daughters of the Obama's, yesterday turned 15.
Malia and her younger sister Sasha, 12, had accompanied Obama and the First Lady during their just concluded Africa trip that took them to South Africa.
In February this year, Obama had hinted that one of his daughters, possibly Malia, was now dating.
"I do have to warn the parents who are here, who still have young kids, they grow up to be like 5 feet 10 inches. And even if they're still nice to you, they basically don't have a lot of time for you during the weekends," he said.
"They have sleepovers and dates. So all that early investment just leaves them to go away," Obama had said.