Double check antecedents of NRI grooms: CJI
- Vote for Supriya Sule or lose water, âthreatensâ Ajit Pawar
- Watch video: Baba Ramdev caught on camera discussing money with BJP candidate
- Nobel laureate Gabriel Garcia Marquez dies at 87
- 5th phase of elections: Moderate to high turnout on biggest voting day
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Protests against Kejriwal in Varanasi; Modi's rally stage collapses due to rain
To curb the increasing number of cases where wives are being deserted by NRI grooms in Punjab, Chief Justice of India, Altmas Kabir, while stressing upon the need to change people's mindset, called upon families to double check the antecedents of NRI grooms.
"We make a lot of inquiries when it comes local grooms, then why not in cases of NRI grooms? Such verification will curb this menace to a great extent," Kabir said on Sunday, while speaking in a seminar on 'NRI abandoned brides and illegal immigration' at Punjab University's regional centre campus in Hoshiarpur district.
He also called upon the sarpanches and panches to check the antecedents of NRI grooms.
He added: "People should not get impressed by rosy pictures shown by these NRI grooms on matrimonial advertisements. The parents of a girl must know what the groom has been doing and what is his background."
"Such ads are available on websites where NRI grooms even make huge demands. After getting married, they disappear. One should not get fascinated by these ads," he said.
While speaking about illegal immigration, Kabir said: "This is not only the case in Punjab but in south as well. In south, people are mad about going to gulf countries. Once there, they get trapped in the net of unscrupulous travel agents... I am not against a girl marrying an NRI and immigrating to any country, but it should not be done for greed."
- As EC website crashes due to overload, party workers use apps to locate voters
- An entire society in Kothrud could not vote
- Chaos, anger across city over missing names
- Mulayam pushes third front, says will stake claim to PM post
- Don’t look at my candidates, votes for me: Maya to Dalits
- AAP biggies focus on Vishwas, Kejri seats, other units suffer