Dowry: Cop held for ‘driving’ wife to commit suicide
- Mad rush, chaos as Arvind Kejriwal takes local train to woo 'aam aadmi' in Mumbai
- SC defers hearing on Sahara's plea on releasing Subrata Roy
- IAF aircraft on standby for missing Malaysian Airlines search ops
- Presidential delay in mercy petitions: SC won't reconsider verdict
- Lalu loyalist-turned rebel Ram Kripal Yadav joins BJP
A police constable and four members of his family have been arrested in Hapur for allegedly driving wife to commit suicide for dowry. Sukhinder (23) and the rest were sent to judicial custody on Sunday. Police said Sukhinder's wife Ankur allegedly shot herself at her home at Sudanpura village with a countrymade pistol Saturday evening. Her family complained to police that she was being harassed by her in-laws who were demanding Rs 50 lakh as dowry. One among the six named in the FIR is still absconding. Sukhinder joined police in 2011 and was posted in Shahjahanpur. He had married Ankur in March last year.
4 held with brown sugar worth Rs 84 lakh
Lucknow: Brown sugar worth Rs 84 lakh in the international market were seized and four persons were arrested in this connection from Barabanki district, police said on Sunday. Acting on a tip-off, police arrested Vishal Singh, Ravi Shankar, Abhishek Shukla and Ashok Singh on Saturday with 840 gm of brown sugar.