DPP-13 to liberalise defence procurement
- Arvind Kejriwal calls 'emergency' Assembly session to discuss Centre's notification on Lt Governor's role
- Celebrations in AIADMK camp as Jayalalithaa becomes Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- No full statehood rights to Delhi unless there is consensus, says Arun Jaitley
- Gujjar protest to continue as talks with Rajasthan govt fail
- Heat wave toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana reaches 223
According to officers, the private industry should focus less on the high value, high technology weapons platforms (e.g. aircraft and tanks) on which the big defence money is spent. Instead, should should emulate the auto parts industry by setting up manufacturing units that were part of a global supply chain. These small units would form the backbone of a countrywide defence industrial base.
In the MoD's planning, such a defence industrial backbone is crucial for maintaining, repairing, overhauling and upgrading the complex defence platforms that are currently being bought overseas and manufactured under licence in India.