DPP-13 to liberalise defence procurement
- We want to balance the two FDIs- Foreign Direct Investment and 'First Develop India': PM Modi
- Prince William, Kate Middleton to make maiden India tour next year
- J&K Chief Minister Mufti Sayeed hints at Mehbooba taking over as CM
- PM Narendra Modi's Britain visit has sparked China rivalry buzz: Daily
- Heavy rains continue to pound Tamil Nadu, life thrown out of gear
According to officers, the private industry should focus less on the high value, high technology weapons platforms (e.g. aircraft and tanks) on which the big defence money is spent. Instead, should should emulate the auto parts industry by setting up manufacturing units that were part of a global supply chain. These small units would form the backbone of a countrywide defence industrial base.
In the MoD's planning, such a defence industrial backbone is crucial for maintaining, repairing, overhauling and upgrading the complex defence platforms that are currently being bought overseas and manufactured under licence in India.