Drama After Marriage
- FIR against SP leader Azam Khan over hate speech
- His hands tied, PM surrendered to Sonia: ex-media adviserâs book
- How can Modi honour women if he canât mention his wife, asks Rahul
- Mewat simmers after poll clash, killing of Muslim youth
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Six election officials killed in Naxal attack; FIR filed against Azam Khan
Over a year after theatre brought Ahlam Khan and Zafar Karachiwala together, the couple is cast as a pair in a play by Ramu Ramanathan.
It all started on September 18, 2011 — the day Ahlam Khan and Zafar Karachiwala tied the knot. Mumbai-based playwright Ramu Ramanathan, who had worked with Ahlam since her post-graduate days in 1999, went to their reception without a gift. But, he did know what he could present them with — a play. This is how the new stage production, called The Diary of a Word or How I Proposed to My Second Husband on the 321 Floor came about. It now premieres on Saturday, at Centrestage, the annual theatre festival of National Centre for Performing Arts (NCPA), Mumbai, at its Godrej Theatre.
Now, the couple spends its evenings rehearsing the play till late. However, neither of them seems to mind that. Ahlam, who is the daughter of iconic actor Amjad Khan, calls herself a "theatre purist". She has wholeheartedly embraced theatre as a career after dabbling in film writing for a few years without much satisfaction. Zafar, who has been doing theatre since 1993, also loves his association with the stage even though it's television that made him popular with shows such as Hip Hip Hurray and Pal Chhin. There is also the responsibility of running his company that keeps him busy during the day.
Their love for stage notwithstanding, what makes this play interesting is the genuine chemistry that the two actors bring to it. It is a modern love story set in very unusual circumstances, even as it highlights the issue of vanishing languages. The play unfolds very much like sharing a fireside chat with two not-so-young lovers. The narrative is conversational and rambling, looping back and forth between an imaginary world of words and a real world.
- Under attack over rape remark, SP chief Mulayam Yadav blames media
- JD(S) releases manifesto, vows to protect interests of state
- Ambareesh returns, says will sort ‘minor differences’
- Sagar Ghosh killing: Breather for DGP as HC stays single bench order
- Face of Gujarat riots is face of BJP: Mamata
- Cong seeks action against Advani on ‘wrong’ info in affidavit