Drastic fall in drink driving cases on New Year’s eve
- Ditched by Anna, Mamata rallies â around herself
- AAPâs existence a miracle of Bhagwan, Allah: Kejriwal at Mumbai road show
- CBI chief for closing Lalu cases, director of prosecution doesnât agree
- Maoist attack: gaps between official version, facts on ground
- Trouble for Khobragade as govt finds daughters have US, Indian passports
The number of drink driving cases on New Year's eve came down drastically this year. As per the traffic control branch figures, as many as 145 offences were registered on December 31as compared to 230 last year.
Between December 1 and 31, the traffic police booked as many as 728 persons for drink driving. In a drive carried out on New Year's eve, 20 offences were registered in jurisdiction of Zone I of Pune police commissionerate, 18 in Zone II, 84 in Zone III and 23 in Zone IV.
Offenders were booked under Section 188 of Motor Vehicle Act, 1988 and were produced before a court and fined. Police used 47 breath analysers to detect drink driving.
Besides, as many as 1,793 persons were booked for traffic violations on the New Year's eve. Police teams were deployed at different locations across the city to keep a check on traffic situation during the celebrations.
A New Year party at Mulik ground in Kalyani Nagar was cancelled after police found organisers conducting the party without necessary permission.