DRDO at the 100th Indian Science Congress
- LIVE: 4 suspected Jaish-e-Mohammed terrorists, 3 security personnel killed in Pathankot attack
- Pathankot: IAF uses attack helicopters to flush out terrorists
- Pathankot terror attack strikes at heart of PM Modi’s Pakistan peacemaking
- Any attack will be given befitting reply, says Rajnath Singh
- No shield of party discipline for Arun Jaitley: Kirti Azad reply to BJP
The Defence Research and Development (DRDO) will provide the science enthusiasts from all over the country its might in design and development of defence technologies at the 100th Indian Science Congress from tomorrow January 3-7 in Kolkata.
At the five day Congress the major attractions at the expo among the outdoor models are strategic and tactical missiles Agni and Prithvi, Nag anti-tank missile, Akash surface-to-air missile, BrahMos supersonic cruise missile and Astra radar homing beyond visual range air-to-air missile. The indoor models will cover the entire gamut of research and development in DRDO, prominently India's own Light Combat Aircraft Tejas, unmanned aerial vehicles Nishant and Lakshya, bridging systems Sarvatra and BLT T-72, Autonomous Underwater Vehicle, Torpedoes, and Decoys.
Among other displays would be military communication equipment; electronic warfare systems, night vision devices, microwave devices, nuclear-biological-chemical (NBC) protective systems, agro-animal technologies, and packaged food products for military personnel.
The Congress, to be held under the focal theme 'Science for shaping the Future of India' will be inaugrated by President Pranab Mukherjee January 3.
"As always, main aim is to present the science and technologies in strategic sector for national security and the excitement of scientific challenges to the young creative minds," DRDO spokesperson Ravi Kumar Gupta said.
Today, India is one of the four countries to have multi-level Strategic Deterrence capabilities, one of the five countries to have its own Ballistic Missile Defence (BMD) program, one of the six countries to have developed its own Main Battle Tank, one of the seven countries to have an indigenous 4th generation Combat Aircraft and one of the select few countries to have its own electronic warfare & multi-range radar programme.
Defence scientists led by DRDO chief VK Saraswat, a top missile scientist himself, will also deliver lectures at the Congress. Also, a star attraction during the Congress will be a unique opportunity to interact with the top DRDO Scientists led by Dr V Bhujanga Rao, Distinguished Scientist & Chief Controller Research & Development (Naval Systems) at a special public outreach session titled "Frontiers of Defence Science"
- Across the aisle: New Year resolutions for the NDA government
- Fifth column: Hope in the New Year?
- Reverse swing: The good, the bad and the ugly from India in 2015
- Out of my mind: A new Parliament for a new India
- Inside Track: Stay home
- AAP's strategy is good one for some immediate relief. However, it must initiate action on all other measures now.