Drink pomegranate juice daily to boost sexual desire: study
- India, Ireland share much in common, says Modi before leaving for US
- Volkswagen CEO Martin Winterkorn resigns amid emissions-rigging scandal
- Hardik Patel surfaces after mysterious disappearance, says he was abducted
- 2006 Mumbai train blasts: Prosecution seeks death penalty for 8 convicts
- Backward class candidates get lion's share in Nitish Kumar's list
Want to boost your sex drive? Forget pills. Just drink a glass of pomegranate juice daily -- at least for 15 days, says a new study.
Researchers at Queen Margaret University in Edinburgh have found that men and women who drank a daily glass of the fruit juice for a fortnight experienced a surge in the hormone testosterone, which increases sexual desire in both genders.
The study involved 58 volunteers aged between 21 and 64. By the end of the fortnight both sexes had seen "significantly increased" testosterone levels. For men this affects traits such as facial hair, a deep voice and greater sexual urges.
It is also produced in female adrenal glands and ovaries, raising a woman's sex drive and strengthening bones and muscles, says the study.
As a side effect, increased testosterone can help raise mood and memory and even relieve stress such as "pre-match nerves" or stage fright, according to the researchers.
The Edinburgh research measured testosterone levels, blood pressure and, using a scientific scale, levels of 11 emotions including fear, sadness, guilt, shyness and self- assurance, a media report said.
Testosterone levels increased between 16 per cent and 30 per cent among the subjects, while blood pressure plummeted. Positive emotions rose and negative feelings fell.