Drishti school gets ‘best waste managers’ award
- Not RSSâ job to chant âNamo, Namoâ, canât cross limits for BJP: Mohan Bhagwat
- Missing Malaysia Airlines: âFakeâ passports mystery deepens
- Mocking Nitishâs âPM hopesâ, Modi woos Muslims, Yadavs
- Arvind Kejriwal accused of influencing TV interview
- Dalit teen canât pay to cheat in exam, immolates himself
Drishti Dr R C Jain Innovative Public School, based at Narangwal village in Ludhiana, has won the 'best waste managers' award from the Centre for Science and Environment (CSE). The school recycles 97% of its waste and water.
More than 750 schools, including a few from Sri Lanka, had participated in the competition.
B Puri, manager of the school, said, "We re-use all the paper in our school. After using both sides, we do paper shredding and sell it off for re-cycling. The garbage generated from our school is not thrown out but instead we have made compost pits on 7 acres of land outside the campus, where segregated garbage is dumped without adding any manure. After six months, the garbage gets converted into manure which is ready to be used within the campus in our green belts and flower pots."
The school has also made rainwater harvesting wells.
She added, "The sewage also goes into a septic tank made within the campus which is cleaned once in six months and the treated water goes out for irrigation purposes."
The school participated in this competition for the first time. Five school students gave a presentation of the work being done inside the campus and in the village as well. Only five schools were allowed to give their presentations, and Drishti was among them.
- Eight held for ‘attacking’ Dalit wedding procession in Sabarkantha
- 90 airports on alert to check movement of cash ahead of elections
- Notices to 23 hospitals for withdrawing facility
- Sindhis threaten to move HC if Sindhu Sagar not cleaned
- In Mumbai, teacher’s love story with student ends in her arrest
- Govt dismisses AAP allegations
- AAP workers stage protest outside Kejriwal’s residence over ticket distribution
- BJP boycotts NDTV over news gaffe | The Indian Express
- Out of the promised 50,000 homes for the poor, not even 50 constructed in Gujarat by BJP: Kejriwal
- Kejriwal Gujarat tour: The unfamiliar politician | The Indian Express