Drought can't be understood by helicopter survey: NCP to Sena
- Unjust to blame Modi, Shah alone for Bihar debacle: Nitin Gadkari
- High Drama at Akal Takht, bid to attack Jathedar
- Every action has equal and opposite reaction: Nitish on BJP rumblings
- Chetia handed over to India: All you need to know about the ULFA leader
- For second successive year, PM Modi celebrates Diwali with jawans
Accusing the opposition Shiv Sena and BJP of indulging in politics over the drought in Maharashtra, NCP today said the situation cannot be understood by "travelling in expensive cars and helicopters".
Ridiculing the recent separate visits by Shiv Sena president Uddhav Thackeray and MNS chief Raj Thackeray to the drought-affected areas, NCP spokesman Nawab Malik today accused the two leaders of indulging in politics.
Drought was a serious matter, which needed a constructive debate on providing relief to the people, he said.
"Demanding a special session of the legislature for drought has become fashionable. Nothing will come out of it. Why did the opposition not press for discussion during the winter session. It was the government which initiated a debate then," he said.
"Gravity of the situation cannot be understood by travelling in expensive cars and helicopters," he said.
Malik also took a dig at Shiv Sena for not fielding a candidate in the recently-held Legislative Council elections, saying it showed that the party had weakened and "does not even trust its own MLAs".
"It had to withdraw its notice for no-confidence motion in the winter session. The recent by-election, where Congress's Muzaffar Hussain was a candidate, went uncontested. Shiv Sena did not even put up a candidate against state
- With a few modifications, MGNREGA can dent poverty
- Centre should merge excise and service tax regimes as a precursor to GST
- Sanskrit and Persian have much in common
- Borrowing costs for states with varying deficits can’t be the same
- Best investment treaty
- Discrimination on basis of caste is continuing reality, state can't shirk responsibility